Case management is the work—recording, monitoring and analysis—involved in the processing of the data, procedures, and related content that comprise a case.
A case can be an investigation that must be conducted, a service request that must be fulfilled or an incident or issue that must be resolved.
As opposed to business process management (BPM), which focuses specifically on workflows and repeatable processes, case management is a more holistic technique for managing work and processes that aren’t repeatable. Case management solutions are designed to improve knowledge-driven work as well as to improve general processes to optimise outcomes.
Reduce business challenges and complexities
Case management software solutions enables organisations to address a range of business challenges and manage unpredictable, information-centric work. Critical capabilities include:
Task and Activity Management
Customised Knowledge Worker Interface
- Content Management
- Business Rules and Workflow
- Visibility and Reporting
Some business activities that a case management solution can improve are:
Facilities project management
- Compliance tracking
- Vendor management
- Contract management
- HR onboarding
- Incident resolution
- Fraud investigation
What Are Some Use Cases for Case Management?
Three work patterns have emerged as being extremely applicable to a case management approach. These include, but are not limited to:
Investigative Case Management(e.g., anti-money laundering, fraud, underwriting, claims management, legal matter management, storm water management, public defender case management)
- Service Request Management (e.g., customer onboarding, contract requests, employee onboarding, probationer management, vendor onboarding, provider onboarding)
- Incident Management (e.g., IT help desk, facility work orders, appeal & grievances, HR incidents, university counseling, quality control)
Does My Organisation Need Case Management Software?
Ask yourself these questions:
What are your organisation’s current processes for handling cases?
- Are they enabling your knowledge workers to provide the best possible service to your clients while remaining flexible and efficient?
- Are your employees enabled to solve problems with a complete view of all the information they need to complete their work?
If not, case management software could be your answer.
Increase productivity and make better business decisions
Manage data relationships, documents, and processes in a single product, empowering employees to effectively manage cases and make better business decisions. Here are a few ways case management software can improve work:
Increase productivity and ensure continuity with a complete view of information. Rather than having to toggle between systems or manage spreadsheets, staff remain within the same intuitive interface, logging activities, adding notes and updates, delegating tasks, and scheduling events.
- Improve visibility and control. Reporting dashboards and audit trails of all activities increase transparency, support compliance and help organisations identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure smooth handoffs and effective collaboration. With critical information and supporting content instantly accessible to all authorised employees throughout the case, organisations support effective collaboration – whether that’s while completing a project, resolving an issue or providing exceptional customer service.
Which Case Management Software is Best for My Business?
Forrester Research, Inc. evaluated the 14 most significant software providers in dynamic case management. Download your complimentary copy of the report. Compare vendors and find the right case management solution for your organisation.