Rapid application development (RAD) prioritises prototyping and iterative development over planning. It emphasises adaptability and easy adjustments based on ongoing knowledge gains, making it ideal for software development and the creation of business solutions, which often involve shifting requirements.
RAD is often used for software solutions with user interaction (UI), as it continuously incorporates pertinent user feedback collected during frequent hands-on testing of prototypes and unreleased versions. RAD projects are typically quicker to market than applications developed using other methodologies (e.g., waterfall).
When combining a RAD methodology with a low-code application configuration platform, organisations can take a strategic approach to building business solutions while minimising the need for custom code or scripting.
Benefits of rapid application development for businesses
The primary benefit of RAD is the accelerated delivery of new applications and features. Additional benefits of RAD for businesses include:
- Closer collaboration amongst application designers and stakeholders
- Fewer resources allocated to custom coding, scripting and bug-fixing
- Increased innovation
- Lower maintenance costs
- Flexibility to quickly and easily adapt solution to changing business needs
Building applications on a low-code enterprise information platform
With the ability to manage documents, processes and data, an enterprise information platformsupports application creation and development by providing a low-code framework for configuring business apps. Building on such a platform can:
- Reduce the number of information silos and disparate solutions that need to be supported
- Provide out-of-the-box functionality that can be rapidly expanded, modified, improved and configured to meet complex process needs or changing requirements
- Minimise the need for resource-intensive custom coding and multiple vendors
- Offer a lower total cost for solution development
- Achieve a quicker time-to-benefit for applications
To learn more about RAD and the benefits of an enterprise information platform solution, click here.