The university’s challenge: Removing the paper plague and information siloes
The University of Notre Dame works to maintain productive relationships with students from day one. Unfortunately, the university’s First Year of Studies (FYS) was plagued by paper and information siloes, making the management of student information and relationships difficult. Access databases and stored related content in spreadsheets, folders and physical file cabinets. Unsurprisingly, these methods impacted service, visibility and data integrity.
Already using OnBase by Hyland to digitize admissions, Notre Dame turned to OnBase Case Management to improve advising and better manage first-year student information.
“Advisors now have one place to go for all student information,” said Tracy Weber, manager of digital document management. “While students are in the waiting room, advisors can pull up their electronic files, see their pictures and view details like FERPA status, academic schedules, grades and pending course drops. They also have access to all related documents – giving them a quick synopsis of each student.”
5 ways OnBase improved advising, student service and beyond
OnBase case management enhances processes at the University of Notre Dame in many ways, including:
- Providing advising with a complete view: Advisors have a 360-degree view of all student information, from visit notes to admissions documents to a history of dropped courses to real-time data from Banner.
- Facilitating better student service: “Advisors don’t have to spend as much time on back office paperwork or keeping track of data – OnBase is really providing that information to them,” Weber said. “They have more time to spend on truly important advising activities and providing guidance the students need.”
- Increasing visibility: “Our dean, sitting in her office, can see who’s in the waiting room, who’s coming in today and why students are coming in,” Weber said. “That information enables her that same day to have a sense of what is going on with students and help other advisors.”
- Saving time and minimizes the paper trail: Before OnBase, advisors spent weeks preparing paper files for transfer to various colleges. Now that information stays in OnBase throughout a student’s academic career, offering timely access to complete electronic files.
- Providing rapid value without custom code: With OnBase, Notre Dame quickly created a solution without time-consuming custom development. Notre Dame plans to scale the success of the FYS solution by building additional applications on OnBase – including solutions for college dean-level advisors and graduate programs
View, download and share the complete, in-depth case study.